mercredi 9 mai 2012

Getting XOrg statistics remotely

I noticed, and most importantly got complains, that the user interface of our Data Quality Monitoring (DQM) software was slow. The DQM tools in ALICE at CERN are developed in C++ on top of the framework ROOT which is used amongst other things to implement the GUI.

Checking on the production stations I saw that XOrg was eating more than 30% of the memory. To know what processes is provoking the problem, the best is to use xrestop, an equivalent of top for X11.

My problem was that the control room is kilometers away from my office and i was too lazy to go there. I tried to run the xrestop through ssh but got statistics of my own, local computer.

As pointed out by someone here, the trick was to use the option -display :
xrestop -display :0

Aucun commentaire: